I have enjoyed teaching or assisting teaching a number of courses across a range of subjects. My teaching philosophy uses the science of learning through active learning to promote the tradition of critical inquiry of a liberal education with a rigorous engagement with a course’s substantive material. I have sought out and adopted a number of assignments to enhance my teaching. For instance, a journal assignment allows students to try out new ideas, grapple with difficult passages, raise questions, and develop a habit of focused writing. To assist students with their papers, I compiled a list of writing suggestions. A summary of my teaching evaluations indicate that students find my teaching effective. For those interested in learning more about the science of education, I recommend, Brown, McDaniel, and Roediger’s Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning. Below is a list of courses I have taught.
I compiled a list of writing suggestions that may be useful to you. Regarding citations, I recommend making the initial small investment of time to set up a (free) citation software program such as Zotero (which I use) or Menedely. It will save you time and prevent frustration.
- Global Environmental Politics and Ethics
- Global Conflict in The Modern Era
- Just War Theory and International Relations
- Thesis and Methods in International Relations Research
- Human Rights in Theory and Practice is an upper level seminar I developed which examines leading philosophical justifications of human rights and considers social science explanations for why people commit human rights violations. (PDF of Human Rights Syllabus)
- Survey of Western Political Thought is an introductory course that examines political thought from Socrates to the end of the 20th century. (PDF of Survey of Western Political Thought Syllabus)
- Environmental Political Theory
- Introduction to Comparative Politics
- Introduction to Global Issues and International Affairs
- Introduction to International Relations
- Survey of Western Political Thought
- CU in DC Summer Internship Program